Monday, August 23, 2010

Holt Cemetery

Did you know that the city owned Holt Cemetery is in the online newspaper again? It is tragic that a historical cemetery that was established in 1876 could come to this. You may read the full online article published here. I estimate that in the last 10 years, Holt cemetery has had at least 10 incidents published some of which are stories of volunteers cleaning up the city owned cemetery. If the city owns the cemetery, then the city is responsible for cleaning it up - or so you would think, right?

[URL http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2010/0/3_families_say_new_orleans_cem.html#incart_rh]

There are more stories from WDSU archives concerning Holt.
Here are the dates:

July 6, 2000 - Complaints of Holt
August 19, 2000 - Clean up at Holt
January 5, 2001 - Saving Graves Report of Endangered Abandoned Unkempt Cemetery
June 30, 2008 - Times Picayune Nicole Dunga - Holt has suffered from years of neglect (Volunteers clean up)
March 1, 2009 - Volunteers clean up Holt

And here we are again, August 2010.

Death of a plantation a very late obituary

While the Louisiana Graveyard Rabbit attempts to introduce its readers to Louisiana cemeteries and graveyards through this blog, the author is making an exception for the death of a piece of history in this unremarkable story that is more like an obituary.

The Acadia Plantation was dismantled in April 2010 by its owner. The Louisiana National Register of Historic Places may have, at the time of the April 2010 blog authors writing, taken the transcript of the plantation down from its website. It is now online with the addendum: DESTROYED 2010.

Read more about Acadia Plantation from someone who grew up in the home, Through the Dust: Demolition at Acadia and from Wounded Bird: Good Bye Acadia Plantation.

The Louisiana National Register of Historic Places had this information concerning the nomination of the historic home site.

Describe the present and original (if known) physical appearance
The Acadia Plantation nomination has both an archaeological and standing structures
component, as outlined below:
ARCHAEOLOGY
The Acadia Plantation archaeological site is located south of Bayou Lafourche, along the
crest of the natural levee. Highway 1 is now approximately 50 meters to the north, and Nicholls State
University is approximately 500 meters to the west-northwest.
The nominated area now includes pastures, a house--formed of earlier structures, and
plantation outbuildings. This encompasses the original locations of late-eighteenth and
early-nineteenth century Acadian homes and probably includes remains of Acadian farm
outbuildings, as well as archaeological deposits associated with mid- to late-nineteenth century
homes and an early sugar mill. The sugar house, built in 1830, was located southwest of the house
that is standing today. It was used until a new sugar mill was built in another area in 1854. Slave
quarters and an overseer's house probably were near the original sugar mill.
The areas where the Acadian homes were located as well as the areas where the early
sugar mill and slave quarters may have been are all in pasture. They have been disked to a depth of
two to three inches, but have never been plowed for agriculture, or otherwise deeply disturbed. Land
surrounding the nominated area is used for agriculture and has been plowed. Therefore, it is unlikely
to have intact deposits.
The succession of ownership of the land is well-documented. The Plater family, current
owners of the plantation, have copies of original documents of sale, sheriff's sale inventories, slave
lists, and structural inventories. The Lafourche Parish Courthouse also houses Conveyance
Records from the nineteenth century that document the early property owners at Acadia.
Through these records, it is known that Acadian farmers first settled along Bayou Lafourche
at Acadia in the late 1700s. Their farms were long and narrow, so many owners could have bayou
frontage. Bayou Lafourche provided the transportation link with the rest of the region.
Records do not show when the first Acadians arrived, but by 1812, the nominated area had
three owners. Pierre Gadre owned Section 34, Jean Morange owned Section 35, except for the
upper one arpent, which Nicholas Lanie owned.
This upper portion of Section 35 is the location of the "east locality" archaeological site.
When Lanie sold this land to James Bowie in 1828 it included "improvements," which probably
referred to a house and other structures.
The area now called the "west locality" archaeological site in Section 34 was bought from
Gadre by Henry S. Thibodaux, then sold to Mr. Picout in 1818, who owned it until his death. The
Picout estate sold it to Stephen Bowie in 1830, and the records of sale show that a small house was
on the property at that time.
Thus, it is documented that the nominated area was settled by Acadian farmers who later
sold the land to the Bowie brothers. James Bowie, known for his dueling exploits, may have lived in
Rapides Parish during the time of Acadia ownership. Stephen lived in Lafourche Parish, possibly at
Acadia, and served as the parish sheriff in the 1830s. Rezin, designer of the Bowie knife, served in
the state legislature and lived in Lafourche Parish. He probably lived at Acadia and managed the
first steam-powered crushing mill in the state. It is this mill that was located southwest of the big
house now standing. The Bowies sold the plantation to three men from Natchez, Mississippi in 1831,
and subsequently the property changed hands many times.
The Plater family, knowledgeable about this history, had observed artifacts in the west locality and
east locality. They invited archaeologists from the Louisiana State Archaeologist's Office to visit
Acadia in 1976, and they have subsequently funded test excavations at the site. The archaeologists
who recorded the site conducted a pedestrian survey, with shovel testing and probing. They
investigated two apparent house sites, at the north end of Section 34 and at the north end of Section
35.
In the west locality, they recorded midden and artifacts over an area 50m (NE-SW) by 130m
(NW-SE). The material collected included ceramics, glass, brick fragments, and oyster shells. The
artifact types suggested an occupation throughout the nineteenth century.
In the east locality, they recorded artifacts over an area of approximately 35m (NE-SW) by
65m (NW-SE). A large percentage of the ceramics were pearlware or creamware, suggesting an
occupation in the early nineteenth century. The size, depth, and materials observed are those
expected for historic houses. This initial recording and survey suggested that the east locality may
have been the Acadian house sold to James Bowie in 1823. If so, it does not appear to have been
occupied after that time.
The west locality, however, was occupied during and after the time Stephen Bowie lived at
Acadia. It may have been the Acadian residence sold to Bowie. Based on the time it was used, this
could also have been the location of one of the houses that was consolidated to form the large
house that is now standing.
Additional archaeological testing in the east and west localities was directed by Richard
Beavers of the University of New Orleans. Three test pits were placed in the west locality, revealing
a midden 15cm thick. The corner of a brick pier, artifacts, and a layer of brick rubble were
uncovered. About 10 percent of the ceramics were creamware and pearlware, substantiating earlier
findings that the area dates to the nineteenth century.
One test pit was placed in the east locality, and brick paving and ceramics were recovered.
Pearlware and creamware accounted for approximately 73% of the ceramics, confirming the earlier
finding that the area appears to date to the last quarter of the eighteenth century. or the first part of
the nineteenth century. No testing has been conducted in the area that may be the location of the
1830 sugar mill, but it is likely that it, along with an overseer's house and slave quarters, remain in
the triangular-shaped pasture southwest of the standing house.
STANDING STRUCTURES
The present standing structures at Acadia include a c.1890 frame Queen Anne Revival
main house, two contemporaneous cottages, and several relatively modern outbuildings. Although
the main house has been altered, it still retains enough of its Queen Anne Revival-Eastlake styling to
merit National Register listing.
According to family history, the present main house was assembled from three older houses
in about 1850. The resulting composite structure was raised seven feet and renovated in the Queen
Revival style in about 1890. An early photograph shows two of the houses before they were
"assembled." The fact that such a photograph exists tends to indicate that the house was probably
moved together in the later nineteenth century rather than in 1850. However, speculation on this
point is moot because the 1890 renovation was so complete that there is virtually nothing visible
from the earlier houses. For all intents and purposes one is dealing with a c.1890 structure.
The house has a rambling cruciform plan with ten major rooms on the principal story. One
approaches Acadia via two flights of steps which ascend a full story to an elaborate Eastlake gallery.
This gallery makes a total of four ninety degree turns as it runs from one side of the house to the
other. The gallery culminates in an open columnar turret which at one time had a faceted conical
roof. The main entrance of the house is marked by an oeil-de-boeuf gable supported by two
enormous sunburst brackets. Each of the Eastlake gallery columns is surmounted by a rounder
bracket ornamented with pateras. The balusters are rather unusual, being square with rowder-cut
flutes.
The complex roofline consists of a central pyramid with gabled wings coming off on all four
sides. Dormers are of two types--gablets and the more conventional sash window type. All of them
are ornamented with oeil-de-boeuf motifs. Overall, the roofline features a total of fifteen gables
(including the dormers). The roofline is further enlivened by a central ornamental vent stack and five
chimneys.
Each of the principal gables is ornamented with imbricated shingles. At one time they also
featured a large oculus and decorative vergeboards, but these were removed in the 1930s. (Each
oculus was replaced by a conventional sash window.
Other noteworthy exterior features include the oculus windows at the basement level, the
window and door cornices, and the shutters, most of which are original to the 1890 period. The
interiors are spacious but fairly plain. Essentially the floor plan takes its shape around an off-center
hall. Many of the rooms were reworked with a Georgian-looking panel treatment in the 1940s. Also
at about that time part of the hall was enlarged to form a living area and small rear and side
extensions were built.
Assessment of Integrity:
The statement of architectural significance is concerned with Acadia as it existed after 1890.
Despite the changes the house has undergone since that time, it still retains enough significant
features to establish its local architectural importance (see Item 8).
CONTRIBUTING ELEMENTS
The archaeological east and west localities are listed as contributing elements. Architectural
contributing elements are shown as solid dark shapes on the attached to-scale map. They include
the main house, two cisterns, and two servants cottages, all of which are contemporaneous. The
early dependencies illustrate the type of support structures a large plantation house of the
late-nineteenth century would have had. Non-contributing elements are shown on the map as hollow
outlined shapes. They include two garages, two sheds, two small houses, two barns, and a stable,
none of which date from the period of architectural significance.
CONTRIBUTING ELEMENTS COUNT: 7
Specific dates late 18th-19th century (archaeology)
c.1890 (house)
Builder/Architect Uncertain (house)
Statement of Significance (in one paragraph)
Acadia Plantation is of state significance in the area of historic archaeology and of local
significance in the area of architecture.
HISTORIC ARCHAEOLOGY - CRITERION D
The archaeological components of Acadia Plantation provide an unusual opportunity to
study Acadian farmsteads of the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, and to document
consolidation of these farmsteads into a bayou-focused sugar plantation in the nineteenth century.
Test excavations have shown the archaeological deposits at Acadia to be intact and well preserved.
Study of these in the future will provide information that is not available at other sites of their age and
that will contribute to the understanding of eighteenth and nineteenth century Louisiana.
As discussed in Louisiana's Comprehensive Archaeological Plan, the most notable
immigrants to the state during the late eighteenth century were the Acadians. However, knowledge
of sites where they settled is meager and attempts to locate them have had disappointing results.
Acadian farmsteads are identified in the plan as rare in expected frequency, and in fact, only one
Acadian site of any kind is listed in the plan. Two others, in addition to Acadia, are now in the
Louisiana site files, but these are both described as plantations. Small farmsteads are more typical
of Acadian settlement patterns. Acadia is unique in having at least two farmsteads on the property.
Also, according to Louisiana's Comprehensive Archaeological Plan, very little research has
been conducted at sugar plantations in Louisiana. Of the sugar plantations listed in the plan, all but
one is on the Mississippi River. The other is on the Ouachita River, leaving no examples of
bayou-focused sugar plantations. The only sugar plantations other than Acadia where excavation
work has been conducted are on the Mississippi.
The early development of the plantation can be studied at Acadia because the 1830s sugar
house, slave quarters, and overseer's house were abandoned in 1854 when new ones were built in
another area. This gives an opportunity to study remains known to date to a brief time period. Areas
around houses used in the nineteenth century are known to have been in pasture since the latter
part of the century, and thus, archaeological deposits are preserved.
In summary, "Acadia represents a pattern of early settlement and consolidation common to
small bayous, exemplifies the pattern of development of these plantations, provides a distinct
contrast to patterns known for the large land grants along the Mississippi River and is rare in having
remained a unit ...." (Beavers 1983:105).
Specific research goals identified in the plan that have been, or can be, addressed at Acadia
include the following:
1. "Obtain basic locational data on colonial agricultural complexes like ... early
Acadian farmsteads."
2. "Examine the ties between Louisiana and French Canada.... Where were the initial
Acadian settlements?"
3. "Examine the role, regional diversity, and history of Louisiana's antebellum
plantation society. What differences existed between the cotton plantation and the
sugar plantation...?"
4. "Investigate the small antebellum farmstead. What differences exist between the
small Acadian farmstead and the Upland South farmstead? What relationships
existed between them and the large plantations? Between these farmsteads and
the rural villages?"
5. "Define any differences identifiable in the archaeological remains of antebellum
ethnic enclaves like the free blacks, Creoles, urban Irish, Acadians and those of
mixed ancestry."
Acadia also can provide answers to these questions:
1. What outbuildings were associated with Acadian farmsteads?
2. How is the 1830s land consolidation reflected in the archaeological record? Were
Acadian homes abandoned or reoccupied?
3. What was the design of an early steam-driven sugar mill?
4. How do the early nineteenth century slave quarters and the overseer's house
compare to those of the latter half of the nineteenth century?
ARCHITECTURE - CRITERION C
The main house at Acadia is locally significant in the area of architecture as a landmark
among late nineteenth-early twentieth century residences in Lafourche Parish. There is no doubt
that if Acadia had not suffered the losses of integrity described in Item 7, it would be far and away
the most impressive late nineteenth/early twentieth century residence in Lafourche Parish. Even in
its altered state, it is still a residential landmark of the period. Its long and elaborate Eastlake gallery
is a feature found on only four other period residences in the parish. In addition, complex rooflines
were a favorite Queen Anne Revival device, and Acadia's is one of the five most elaborate
examples in the parish. Indeed, with well over thirty roof planes, Acadia's roofline is probably more
complicated than any other. Despite the loss of the conical turret top, the turret shape which remains
still contributes much to Acadia's elaborate massing. Of course, Acadia is inferior in this respect to
the five other Queen Anne Revival residences in the parish that completely retain their turrets. But it
is superior to the hundreds of other period residences that do not have even the semblance of a
turret. Finally, Acadia is a vast rambling house that in many ways has the architectural stature of a
villa. It is easily the largest example of the Queen Anne Revival style in Lafourche Parish.
Major Bibliographical References
Beavers, Richard C., 1983, Preliminary Archaeological Reconnaissance and Assessment of A
Plantation, Research Report No. 6, Archaeological and Cultural Research Program,
University of New Orleans, New Orleans.
Old photos in possession of Plater Family.
Louisiana Historic Structures Survey, Lafourche Parish.

Baton Rouge National Cemetery

The Baton Rouge National Cemetery is located at 220 North 19th Street, Baton Rouge,
Louisiana, in East Baton Rouge Parish, about 1 1/4 miles from the grounds of the state capitol. It is adjacent to the city cemetery. The grounds are rectangular in shape and were originally enclosed by a wooden picket fence. which was replaced with a brick wall constructed in 1878. The entire wall was surfaced with stucco in 1936. The main entrance is located on 19th Street at the center of the west side and is protected by a double iron gate with a pedestrian gate on each side. These gates were constructed in 1933. There are two additional gates, one on Convention Street near the utility building, and a service gate on the east side along 22nd Street, which was constructed in 1952. The lodge is located near the main entrance, and the utility building is situated just south of the lodge. As you enter the cemetery, the flagpole is located across the avenue from the lodge. It is situated on a mound with a six-inch concrete coping laid in octagon shape. Near the center of the cemetery is a rostrum.

The cemetery was established in 1867. Henry W. Taylor, a discharged 1st Sergeant of
Company B. Forty-fifth Regiment of Infantry, was the first superintendent. His appointment was dated June 1, 1868. Graves were originally marked by wooden headboards that were later replaced with upright marble headstones. As of January 31, 1997, there were 5,046 sites used for the interment of 5,362 casket remains and 25 sites used for the interment of 31 cremated remains. The cemetery closed in 1960, except for interments in occupied and reserved graves. As of January 31, 1997, there were 24 gravesites available (22 reserved) for the interment of casket remains and 262 sites available for the interment of cremated remains.
The original superintendent's lodge was a wooden cottage containing three rooms with a
piazza all around and shutters on all windows. This structure was later replaced with a 1 1/2-story brick lodge. The present lodge, constructed in 1931, is a one-story, seven-room stucco structure, with a sun porch and basement. The roof is asphalt shingles and replaced the original slate roof.

The enclosed porch was renovated in 1962. A wall of the same material as the cemetery perimeter wall surrounds the lodge. The brick utility building, containing public restrooms, was constructed in 1932. The original roof was made of asbestos shingles and was replaced circa 1992 with an asphalt shingle roof.

The octagon-shaped rostrum is constructed of iron frame with the lower section made of
brick with a stucco surface. The posts and supporting steps are made of cast iron. with black steel railings. The galvanized iron roof has been removed.
A brick public rest room building with an asbestos shingle roof. constructed in 1939. was
removed in 1952.

There is one commemorative monument in the Baton Rouge National Cemetery:
Massachusetts Monument - A large granite monument erected in 1909 by the Commonwealth of
Massachusetts. In 1908, the legislature authorized the monument in memory of the officers of the 31st and 41st Infantry and the men from Massachusetts who lost their lives in the Department of the Gulf during the Civil War. It was constructed by J. N. White and Sons of first-class Quincy monumental granite at a cost of $5,000. The eagle, Massachusetts seal, etc., are made of bronze.

The monument is inscribed as follows:
MASSACHUSETTS
IN MEMORY OF
THE OFFICERS AND MEN OF THE FEDERAL
ARMY AND NAVY FROM MASSACHUSETTS
WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN THE DEPARTMENT
OF THE GULF DURING THE CIVIL WAR
1861 - 1865
ORGANIZATIONS
THAT SERVED IN THE DEPARTMENT
4TH INFANTRY
26TH INFANTRY 47TH INFANTRY
30TH INFANTRY 48TH INFANTRY
31ST INFANTRY 49TH INFANTRY
38TH INFANTRY 50TH INFANTRY
41ST INFANTRY 52ND INFANTRY
42ND INFANTRY 53RD INFANTRY
2ND LIGHT BATTERY 7TH LIGHT BATTERY
4TH LIGHT BATTERY 12TH LIGHT BATTERY
6TH LIGHT BATTERY 13TH LIGHT BATTERY
15TH LIGHT BATTERY

The numbers shown for contributing resources within the property reflect the following:
Buildings: Lodge, utility building
Sites: Cemetery
Structures: Gates (3), perimeter wall, rostrum
Objects: Flagpole, Massachusetts monument, Bronze plaque affixed to flagpole, plaque in
front of cemetery


NARRATIVE STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE
The Baton Rouge National Cemetery is significant under Criterion A and is an important
component of the multiple property submission of Civil War Era National Cemeteries. It is significant
under Criterion A because of its association with the Civil War. The cemetery is also significant
beyond the Civil War era, as it includes the remains of veterans associated with every war and
branch of service who have served their country throughout its history.
The period of significance ends in 1932, the year of construction of the utility building.
In early May 1862, Captain Thomas T. Craven. with seven vessels. was sent to Baton
Rouge to take the capital city. On May 7, 1862. Commander James S. Palmer from Craven's
detachment. proceeded to Baton Rouge aboard the Iroquois and demanded the surrender of the
city. Receiving no satisfactory answer. Palmer landed a force on the morning of the ninth and
claimed possession of the arsenal and barracks. Captain David G. Farragut also moved up to Baton
Rouge.

At Baton Rouge, James B. Kimball, the chief engineer of the Hartford. had dumped his dirty
laundry into a small boat manned by four sailors and started for a house near the wharf to find a
wash woman. As the party neared the shore, about forty guerrillas rushed down the levee and
blasted the boat with buckshot. slightly injuring Kimball and two of the sailors. When Farragut
learned of this, he ordered the Hartford and Kennebec to open fire. Surprisingly, only one woman
was killed, three were wounded, and two drowned while trying to escape. The gunboats continued to
shell the town as long as they thought they could see any trace of the guerrillas. Later, Farragut
assured the citizens, and later the mayor, that unless he were attacked again, he would not fire into
the city. The next morning, May 29. General Thomas Williams arrived in Baton Rouge with his
troops. Farragut requested that he go ashore and protect the lives and property of the loyal citizens.
The guerrillas had threatened to return and destroy Baton Rouge in order to keep the Federal troops
from taking over the city. General Williams landed and took possession of the United States
barracks and set up his artillery. Feeling that Baton Rouge was relatively safe. Farragut left two
gunboats to aid General Williams and departed for New Orleans to obtain supplies. Williams
subsequently left a small force to protect Baton Rouge and left for Vicksburg, Mississippi.
On July 16, Williams was urged by General Butler to return down-river as soon as possible
to blockade Red River and help protect Baton Rouge. He arrived in Baton Rouge on July 26.
Williams was a stickler for petty regulations. In the enervating heat of Baton Rouge, he continued to
hold regular drill and frequent full-dress inspections. More and more men sickened and died. Nearly
half of the entire garrison at Baton Rouge was on the sick list.

When the Federal fleet took leave of Vicksburg, Major General Earl Van Dorn quickly
assumed the offensive and ordered General John G. Breckenridge to lead an expedition to strike at
Baton Rouge. He and his men reached the capital in the early morning of August :. Breckinridge
placed his forces on the left and right side of the Greenwell Springs Road in a single line of battle.
The Confederate troops waited in line for daylight to begin the attack. The citizens of Baton Rouge
had been awakened at dawn by the fire of musketry and the deeper roar of the cannon. As the battle
neared, many persons panicked. Men. women. and children ran to escape the horrors of the
bursting shells, the flying bullets, and the hand-to-hand fighting in the city.

Some three hundred miles above Baton Rouge, the ram Arkansas had completed her
repairs and hastily left Vicksburg to reinforce the Confederate force in its attack on Baton Rouge.
Delays were caused by several stops for repairs. The troops had done all that could be done until
the coming of the Arkansas. Just four miles above Baton Rouge, the ram developed new difficulties
and was tied up to the bank. Enemy gunboats appeared. The last engine trouble proved worse than
expected. and when the enemy gunboats began their cautious approach, the Arkansas could not be
moved. Several shots were exchanged by the two forces with little or no effect. Lieutenant Henry K.
Stevens ordered the crew ashore. set the ship afire. cut the moorings, and set her adrift. When the
flames reached the shot guns they discharged. The fire finally reached the magazine, and the ship
exploded. At four o'clock in the afternoon, Breckenridge learned of the fate of the Arkansas and
abandoned all plans to resume the attack. Around dark he ordered his troops to withdraw to the
Comite River. The following day, they reached the river and went into camp. An outpost was
established at Pratt's far, only five miles from Baton Rouge. but the Confederates were in no danger,
as the enemy did not leave the city.

The battle had lasted only a short time, but the fighting had been severe. The Union had
383 casualties: 84 killed, 266 wounded, and 33 either captured or missing. Confederate losses were
estimated to be 84 killed. 315 wounded, and 57 missing.

For nearly two weeks, the work of building up defenses for Baton Rouge went forward. in
anticipation of a second attack from the Confederates. One third of the town was burned or torn
down so that the gunboats. located above and below town, would have a clean sweep and be able
to converge their fire on the rear and side approaches to the town. Colonel H. E. Paine of the Fourth
Wisconsin assumed command on August 6.

General Butler, who had previously decided to hold Baton Rouge, changed his mind. He
feared that the next Confederate target would be New Orleans and wanted to concentrate his men
there. He ordered Colonel Paine to burn Baton Rouge to the ground. Three days later, he
countermanded his orders and advised Paine to leave Baton Rouge as intact as possible. Butler
also ordered the release of several hundred convicts from the Penitentiary and ordered them to
enlist in the United States army. On August 21. the troops with all their guns, equipment and spoils,
moved down to Carrolton, just above New Orleans. and began strengthening the defenses of Camp
Parapet in anticipation of a Confederate movement against New Orleans.

Two gunboats, the Essex and the No. 7, remained before Baton Rouge and threatened to
shell the entire town if Confederate forces entered. Citizens who had fled before the battle began to
move back into town. Captain David G. Farragut had suggested that Baton Rouge should be
reoccupied without delay. About half the expeditionary force. several thousand men. under Brigadier
General Cuvier Grover was ordered to accompany the Richmond and four of Farragut's gunboats up
to Baton Rouge and to occupy the place. On December 17. 1862, the mission was successfully
accomplished.

The town presented a desolate appearance. Many of the houses had been punctured by
cannon balls. Work was started to clean up the battle debris and strengthen the fortifications. On the
night of December 28. the beautiful Gothic capitol building was set on fire by careless troops
occupying the place. All through the night, the Baton Rouge skyline was lighted up by the bright
flames. Despite the efforts of the Union commander to extinguish the fire, the next morning the
building was a shell with only blackened scorched and windowless walls remaining.
The Battle of Baton Rouge was fought in close proximity to the site on which the Baton
Rouge National Cemetery was established. Some troops were stationed directly behind the
Magnolia Cemetery, which is adjacent to the national cemetery.

A marker of interest is that of General Philemon Thomas. Thomas directed the capture of
Baton Rouge from the Spanish in 1810 and fought in both the Revolutionary War and the War of
1812. At the request of the Mayor of Baton Rouge, his remains were disinterred from an abandoned
cemetery and reentered in the Baton Rouge National Cemetery in 1886. The large flat marker at his
grave in Section 3. is inscribed as follows:
TO THE
MEMORY OF
GEN'L. PHILEMON THOMAS
WHO WAS BORN
IN ORANGE COUNTY, VA.
FEBY. 9TH, 1763
AND DIED
IN BATON ROUGE, LA.
NOV. 18TH 1847
THIS TABLET ERECTED BY
HIS CHILDREN
HE WAS A SOLDIER OF '76' AND OF '14', A MEMBER
OF THE CONVENTION THAT FRAMED THE CONSTITUTION
OF KENTUCKY AND A MEMBER OF HER LEGISLATURE
HE REMOVED TO LOUISIANA IN 1806
COMMANDED THE FORCES WHICH CAPTURED THE
SPANISH FORT AT BATON ROUGE IN 1810. SERVED
MANY YEARS IN THE LEGISLATURE OF LOUISIANA.
AND WAS TWICE ELECTED TO THE CONGRESS OF THE
U.S. THROUGHOUT HIS CAREER, HE WAS CALLED
A PATRIOT AND A GOOD CITIZEN - WE KNOW HIM
TO BE A KIND FATHER AND A FIRM CHRISTIAN.
"SIC TIBI IN TERRA LEVIS"

There is a total of 20 of these large flat markers in Section 3. Many are cracked and much
of the inscription has been worn away by the elements. Some of these markers were placed in other
cemeteries as early as 1830 and the remains, along with the large markers, were moved to the
Baton Rouge National Cemetery circa 1890. The decedents were both adults as well as children of
officers. Removal of a levee by the U. S. Army Engineers necessitated discontinuance of a cemetery
known as the Old Post Cemetery of the Arsenal Grounds.
A cast bronze plaque affixed to the flagpole is inscribed as follows:

UNITED STATES
NATIONAL MILITARY CEMETERY
BATON ROUGE
ESTABLISHED 1867.
INTERMENTS 2936.
KNOWN 2442.
UNKNOWN 494.

In many national cemeteries, such a plaque was affixed to a large monument made of an
original cast iron seacoast artillery tube, secured by a concrete base. Records indicate that there
were two large gun monuments placed in the central avenue of the Baton Rouge National
Cemetery. These monuments were subsequently removed, but the plaque was preserved and
restored.
A plaque in front of the cemetery reads as follows:
NATIONAL
CEMETERY
Federal soldiers killed in
the Battle of Baton Rouge
August 5, 1860.
were buried on this site
which became a
National Cemetery in 1867.
Among soldiers buried here
is General Philemon Thomas
remembered for his
attack on the Spanish fort
at Baton Rouge in 1810,
which established the
West Florida Republic
When the national cemetery was established in 1867, the original burials were of soldiers
who fell on the battlefield near Baton Rouge or died in the hospitals and the remains of Union
soldiers removed from Plaquemine, Louisiana, and Camden Arkansas. There are three Confederate
soldiers buried in the cemetery.

Three former superintendents of the national cemetery are buried here:
Aden & Emma King - Aden was superintendent from 1920-1924. He died during his service as
superintendent, and his wife, Emma, was appointed to the position upon his death. Both are buried
in Section 2 (Graves 3145 and 3145A).

Levi S. Porter - Superintendent from 1932-1934. He is buried in Section 7, Grave 5.
In 1878, when the brick wall was being built around the cemetery to replace the picket
fence. the Government had let a contract to Michael and Bernard Jodd, thought to be from Boston,
Massachusetts. They brought with them a crew of bricklayers and hired local men to carry brick and
mortar. About this time, yellow fever was raging in the south and, before the wall was completed,
both of the Judds contracted the fever and died in September 1878. They are buried in Section 44,
and private headstones mark their graves. The wall was later completed by local men.
The cemetery contains 7.7 acres. The site was formerly owned by Pierre Baron and
Simonna Bareno. from whom the right and title, in fee simple, were purchased by the United States
on October 16, 1868. for the sum of $3.600.00. A small strip of land? ten inches wide, on Dufrocq
Street and one of twenty-four inches on Florida Street were donated to the United States on April
21, 1873, by the City of Baton Rouge.


MAJOR BIBLIOGRAPHICAL REFERENCES
National Cemetery System Microfilm Records
Department of Veterans Affairs Historic Preservation Office
Report of Inspector of the National Cemeteries of the United States for 1869
Report of the Inspector of the National Cemeteries for the years 1870 and 1871
Holt, Dean W. American Military Cemeteries. North Carolina. McFarland and Company, Inc., 1992.
Winters, John D. The Civil War in Louisiana. Louisiana State University Press 1963.


[Photo and summary taken from Louisiana National Register of Historic Places]
Amazon books about - Louisiana Cemeteries

Followers

About Me

My Photo
Networking Louisiana genealogy. This is the Yahoo group managers site. View more about me on My Heritage Our Story Blog Catalog My Facebook Profile